Small, but oh so smart!
Smartvent is a partial one-way vent that fits into venting holes in moulds. Removing the need for other materials formerly used in these holes, Smartvent speeds the sintering process by reducing porosity, improving surface finish and potentially reducing cycle times.
The vent is made from a heat-resistant, flexible polymer with a “petalled” dome (inside the mould) at one end and an open-ended “mushroom” (outside the mould) at the other. The “petals” allow air to enter the mould more easily than it exits.
Smartvent is simple to use, and currently available to fit into 8mm (5/16"), 13mm (1/2") , 19mm (3/4”) or 25mm (1”) vent holes.
- Facilitates the production of small technical rotational mouldings
- Reduces scrap rate, cycle time and cost per production cycle
- Improves surface quality and finish
- Makes part-line blowholes a thing of the past!
- Simple to use and install
- Gives repeatable results: because Smartvent is a manufactured product designed specifically to fit into venting holes in moulds, its performance is consistent
- Does not restrict part shrinkage
- Easily incorporated into current pressurisation systems
|CSV8S||Ø 8mm (5/16") Smartvent – short|
|CSV13S||Ø 13mm (1/2") Smartvent – short|
|CSV19S||Ø 19mm (3/4") Smartvent – short|
|CSV25S||Ø 25mm (1") Smartvent – short|
Smartvent has been designed to fit into an open hole that measures 8mm, 13mm, 19mm or 25mm in diameter (depending on which size Smartvent you are using) and 4mm to 8mm in depth. In a cast aluminium mould, this simply requires a hole to be drilled through the mould in the appropriate location. In a sheet metal mould, the placement hole may require a collar to provide sufficient depth.
The location of the vent placement hole will be governed by standard vent hole considerations. Smartvent requires a minimum space clearance of 33mm in diameter around the vent and 10mm of space beyond the vent dome in order to function at its best. The vent will perform better if it is located near a wall or some other feature that will provide some protection from the powder movement.
Fit Smartvent by inserting the closed end of the tube through the placement hole from the outside of the mould until the collar butts up against the outer wall of the mould.
The life expectancy of Smartvent may be increased significantly by mounting it in a PTFE (Teflon®) collar.
For further information please visit La Plastecnica on www.laplastecnica.co.nz.